Catching a cold is a common thing for us. A cold is a virus that is commonly known. It is a combination of over 150 viruses put together in a certain way. It cannot be completely cured before it takes its toll on you, but there are various medications to slow it down. The virus attaches itself to the membranes present inside your nose when the procedure happens and it takes over all the living cells from that area replicating them as virus cells to spread it even further.
It’s all quite sinister really. When your body tries to fight off the virus the symptoms pop up, like coughs, sneezing, a sore throat, congestion and mild fatigue. The changing climate, pollution and exposure to unfamiliar weather conditions are the main and important reasons of cold. Although, it is generally believed that winter is said to be peak time for cold and flu but it is not mandatory. It can rather happen in any season to any person living anywhere.
Rushing to the doctor does not mean that you are taking proper care of your cold or flu. Instead, there are a few simple steps that can help you recover fast using the simple tips given below.
Giving Rest to Your Body
There is one basic thing that you need to do during a cold and that is to give your body enough rest. However, you have to make sure that there is constantly some fresh air supply in your room through an open window as you would already be wearing warm clothes.
There is a very genuine reason to do this because in a closed room, you will be exhaling infected air and that infected air would be inhaled by you in case your room is closed. So, in order to recover fast, you must keep this thing in mind.
Keep Yourself Hydrated
This is a common observation that you tend to feel dry during cold. Hence, it is recommended to drink as much water as possible to keep yourself hydrated as it is also a good purifier. You can also take warm water as it is easy to drink during cold in case cold water seems stinging to you.
Drink plenty of warm fluids
It is highly recommended to drink warm fluids as it proves to be helpful in loosening the secretions in your sinuses so that your mucus flows more freely. This would make you feel better faster. It has been acknowledged that drinking warm fluids relieves cold symptoms such as runny nose, cough, sneezing, sore throat, and fatigue. Following are some of the liquid intakes that you must take when you suffer from cold or flu.
- Hot, non-caffeinated tea can prove to be a good idea. You must stick with a herbal tea like chamomile or peppermint to rehydrate yourself. If you add some honey and lemon, it will further soothe your throat and help the effects last a little longer. Chamomile is pretty helpful for reducing stress and fatigue, while peppermint can relieve nasal congestion quite easily.
- Japanese Benifuuki green tea may help reduce nasal congestion and allergic symptoms when drunk regularly. The traditional herbal tea “Throat Coat” has been termed as much better at relieving sore throat pain than regular teas.
- Hot broth is also a very good choice when you have a cold or flu. Drinking vegetable or chicken broth in large quantities can be very helpful in curing a cold, but you must keep in mind that consuming too much salt can be dangerous. So, in order to avoid this problem, you must look for low sodium levels. Moreover, chicken soup is another helpful remedy that can help soothe a sore throat and loosen mucus to ease congestion.
- If you’re a coffee lover, you must be happy to know that there is no need to avoid it during a cold in particular. Drinking coffee has been shown to increase alertness among those with colds. However, children should still not be allowed to drink coffee. You must keep in mind that warm water, tea, and broth should be the main fluids you take in because too much caffeine can dehydrate you.
- You must already be avoiding alcohol if you have been suffering from a cold. It may prove to be dangerous as it may cause nasal congestion and make the swelling worse.
Since you will be at rest, it is suggested that you take some light edibles in your diet that your stomach can digest easily. Hence, you can have some fruits and steamed vegetables along with hot soup. It is recommended to have water-enriched stuff instead of spicy and processed food stuff.
Avoiding Stressful activities
You should keep in mind that if you are under any kind of stress, there is a possibility of infectious particles invading your body. So, it is advised that during a cold, you must fully relax yourself by engaging in activities like watching your favorite movies, listening to music or maybe reading some interesting stuff.
Engaging yourself in activities that involve mental and physical stress would not allow you to recover fast. For this reason, it is suggested to avoid any task that consumes a lo of energy.